Roles of an Industrial Designer
Below are a list of common roles and tasks often performed by industrial designers
- Help management visualize the final results of the development and design process.
- Advise the product planning team on how existing products can be improved and new ones introduced
- Help the market research department assess the product performance characteristics required by consumers
- Establish visual characteristics that will give the sales team an edge in the marketplace
- Help the engineering branch create a product that is economical and functional while ensuring that the ergonomic aspects or human needs are also addressed
- Help rationalize and simplify the manufacturing process to optimize capital investment and labour content while reducing the cost of parts.
- Contribute to the creation of promotional information and package design in ways that improve distribution.