Kwantlen Polytechnic University – InstructorBy admin • Mar 9th, 2017 • Category: All Posts, Employment Opportunities
INSTRUCTOR FOR BACHELOR OF DESIGN IN PRODUCT DESIGN PROGRAM – Competition
Commencing September 2017, Kwantlen Polytechnic University requires a full-time non regular type 2 faculty
member for its four-year bachelor degree in Product Design (DEPD).
Introduction to the Position
Design in Vancouver is exploding and we are positioned to educate and develop the designers of the future with our
innovative and student centred Bachelor of Product Design Program. With small class size with a maximum of 22
students, we are able to foster engaged, individualized, and hands-on learning.
The Product Design program has been running for 6 years and we are looking for a faculty member for our next
phase of growth through the further development and realization of the vision. The Wilson School of Design will be
moving into our purpose built facility in 2017, and Product Design is poised to capitalize on the tremendous
potential of our interdisciplinary approach to design and the polytechnic nature of KPU.
The program is driven by a human-centred design process that readies our graduates for industries in our ever-
growing local and global industries, engaging students with the design in active wear, healthcare, and technology
markets. With industry partnerships and a focus on innovation through process, the program fosters creative,
technical, and research skills and the knowledge, abilities, and attitudes students will need to become successful
professional members of the local and international design communities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Product Design, Industrial Design, or related field
- Minimum of five years teaching at the postsecondary level
- Minimum of 5 years’ industry experience in product design, or relevant field, or published evidence of scholarly research in a design-related subject
- Master’s, PhD degree preferred, in Design or related field
- Experience teaching Design or related disciplines at the post-secondary level
- Interest and/or experience in curriculum development and review
- Experience in leading a team
Possible Subject Areas of Expertise:
- Business of Product Design
- Product Design Development
- Technical Design and Communication
- Material and Manufacturing Processes
- Fundamentals of Design Theory
- Innovation Management
- Socially and environmentally responsible design
- Student focused: Demonstrates appreciation for students.
- Collaborative: Provides evidence of strong interpersonal communication and embracing a collaborative style of working. Team player committed to fostering consensus building towards the success of the program.
- Leader: Strong academic leadership qualities and experience.
- Organizational skills: diplomatic, consultative, and democratic. Organized, pays attention to details and a multi-tasker; able to manage and prioritize multiple demands and various levels of accountability.
- Understands institutional policies and procedures, and is familiar with curriculum development within the University environment.
- Strong communicator: effective written and oral communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills: dedicated and reliable; positive and eager; flexible, open minded, adaptable, and resilient. Confident, self-directed, pro-active, action oriented, ‘can-do’ personality. Embraces diversity.
- Dedicated to creating and maintaining a motivational climate and work closely with other faculty.
- Innovative: a broad, innovative, creative, and big picture thinker.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate understanding of the program’s integrated curriculum model as well as their interest and abilities to teach across the curriculum. Program details can be found at: www.kpu.ca/design
References from employers, clients, allied professionals and/or student will be required, along with your design and teaching portfolios.
Compensation will be determined based on qualifications and experience, and is the KFA Collective Agreement.
Kwantlen offers a competitive benefits package and professional development opportunities.
Please forward your resume, including photocopies of academic qualifications, quoting competition number 17-32 by March 30, 2017 to email@example.com.
Please visit our websites; http://kpu.ca/hr for the posting; and www.kpu.ca for information about the institution.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.