Coordinator for the Bachelor of Design in Product Design (Soft Goods)By admin • Jun 27th, 2011 • Category: All Posts, Employment Opportunities
COORDINATOR FOR THE BACHELOR OF DESIGN IN PRODUCT DESIGN (SOFT GOODS) PROGRAM – Competition Number 11-61
Commencing mid-August, 2011 the new Product Design degree program at Kwantlen Polytechnic University will require a program Coordinator.
For 2011/2012 the position is a part time position (25%) with the possibility of increased workload to 50% or full time in the future.
The position will include the following:
• Work with the Dean and other Faculty of Design staff and faculty to develop curriculum for new courses in consultation with industry members and curriculum committee
• Work with various Kwantlen departments to market the program, manage student recruitment, enrollment and advising
• Work with the Faculty of Design operations Manager and Program Assistant to identify facilities furnishings and equipment needs,
While the degree will commence Fall 2012 courses are being offered as part of a transitional year starting in Fall 2011.
The Product Design degree is a new degree at the University and will be offered at the Richmond Campus which is located just off the Canada Line Lansdowne station. It will focus on the design of soft goods (soft product). It will form part of the existing suite of design degrees and draw expertise and content from our well established degrees and programs in Fashion and Technology, Fashion Marketing, Graphic Design for Marketing, Interior Design, and Foundations in Design as well as other areas of expertise in marketing and consumerism at Kwantlen. Many courses will be offered in the evenings in order to allow for professionals in related fields who wish to teach part time and/or to expand their areas of interest.
This is an opportunity to be part of a new degree designed to meet the needs of the softs goods and recreational industry in B.C. and beyond while drawing on the resources, strengths and success of our other degrees. Areas of instruction:
• First year discipline specific courses( May 2012) – Materials and components for the soft goods industry, technical apparel and soft goods industry ( Other first year courses are existing courses in our Foundation in Design program)
• Second year (Fall 2012) – Design and innovation studio, computer fundamentals and CAD, specialty wear, textile science, human factors and ergonomics, drafting, sewing and production.
• Third year ( Fall 2013) – Product development, design and innovation studio, sourcing and production.
• Fourth year (Fall 2014) – Major project, research and development, soft goods and the global economy, manufacture and production, business practices and developing work experience opportunities.
We provide a flexible interdisciplinary learning environment fostered by an atmosphere of respect and cooperation. This environment provides opportunities for students to continue to develop individually as they increase their design, production and marketing abilities.
Minimum qualifications include a degree in Fashion Design, Industrial Design or related field, preferably with a focus on soft goods, technical and/or recreational gear. Five (5) or more years of experience in the soft goods and/or technical and/or recreational gear are required. Teaching experience at the post-secondary level and a working knowledge of the specific subject is preferred. Kwantlen will provide applicants with limited teaching experience the opportunity to take instructional skills workshops.
The successful applicant will be a team players committed to a collaborative style of teaching. This individual will be actively involved in the industry, and related communities.
If you are interested in additional work in this program please see other similar opportunities on this employment website and to view offered Expressions of Interest please see the Faculty of Design website. http://www.kwantlen.ca/design/fashion.html
Please go to http://kwantlen.ca/design for program details and to Kwantlen.ca/HR for details about the position of program Coordinator.
Please forward a cover letter outlining your areas of expertise and interest, resume and verification of credentials, quoting competition number 11-61 by July 11, 2011 to Human Resource Services, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, 12666 72 Avenue, Surrey, BC V3W 2M8; Fax to (604) 599-2111 or email to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Kwantlen Polytechnic University,
However, only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.